Page

My Cooking Journey #2: Watercress Soup, Stir Fry Asparagus with Bacon, Eggy Salmon

Thursday, 25 December 2014

My cooking journey is all about trying out recipes that I come across on Facebook or the Internet. Some of the dishes that I tried are a success and these recipes are a keeper for me. I am not a very good cook, I always cook by gut feel and don't follow the recipes to a T. Hence, some of the dishes are a a failure. Note to self, need to practice more often.

This week, there is a new dish which I am trying out and sadly to say, I failed it. As usual, we had a soup and two dishes.


Watercress Soup
Watercress (1 packet from NTUC. I didn't see how many grams it is)
Pork Ribs
1 Carrot
10 Red Dates
1 Honey Dates
Chinese Almonds (I didn't add this because we ran out of this)

1. Blanch the pork ribs. Wash and set aside.
2. Put all ingredients in pot and boil for 15 minutes. Lower fire and simmer for about 4 hours.

Blanching the pork first helps to remove the scum and any fishy smell from the pork. You will also end up having a clearer soup.

I did not add any salt to the soup because Small J will be sharing the soup. The soup is already very flavourful from the long hours of simmering and the use of honey dates.



Stir Fry Asparagus with Bacon
One packet of Asparagus
2 Strips of Streaky Bacon
4 Baby Corns

1. Prewash the bacon. Cut into small pieces.
2. Heat oil in pan, add in Bacon and fry till brown.
3. Add in Asparagus and Baby Corn and stir fry till cook.

Very easy right? And I love the colours of this dish. I prewashed the bacon because I wanted to remove the salt and seasonings from the bacon. I didn't add in any salt because the bacon is already salty enough and kids are sharing.



Eggy Salmon
Salmon
3 Eggs, beaten

Sauce:
2 Tbsp Mirin
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Water

1. Panfry Salmon skin down. When skin turns crispy, turn the fish over.
2. Pour sauce down the sides of the pan, avoiding the skin of the fish.
3. Pour in beaten eggs.
4. When eggs start to form, turn of heat.

I love looking for inspirations of things to cook at Singapore Home Cooks and this is one of the dish that I learnt from there. But my result is different from the original post. My fish and egg are overcooked and the sauce have all evaporated. However, the taste is still quite acceptable for us. I will try this again in the future and hope to succeed this.


If you enjoy reading this post, I would be glad if you could follow me on Facebook or Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...