Page

My Cooking Journey #4: Oreo Cheesecake

Wednesday, 7 January 2015

We love Oreo Cheesecake. I have made non-baked Oreo Cheesecake for quite a couple of time. This time, I came across a recipe of this Oreo Cheesecake from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe. This is a baked version and doesn't requires the beating of whipped cream. I hate beating whipped cream because I always tend to over-beat. Since it was Daddy J's birthday, I thought to bake a cake for him and this was the recipe I had chosen to try.


This cake is not the cottony type of cheesecake. It's the creamy type which we like. I used half a recipe because we couldn't finished such a big cake and it will be more expensive to bake the bigger cake. Cheese is not cheap ya know? 

The outcome of the cake might not look nice but it is indeed very delicious! The next time I bake this again, I will not include Oreo in the cheese layer because it feels too Oreo-ly. Just Oreo at the bottom and top layer would be just nice for us.

The original recipe is HERE. There is a step by step instructions with photo which you can follow.

I have adapted the recipe as follows:

Crust (Bottom) Layer

200g Oreo Cookies (Cream removed)
55g Butter 

1. Melt the butter. You can melt it over a warm water bath. I melt it using the milk bottle warmer.
2. Crush the Oreo. You can put the cookies in a ziplock bag and crush it with something hard. I use a food processor, so it makes everything easier. 
3. Pour the melted butter into the crushed Oreo and mix them together.
4. Pour everything into a 8 inch springform pan and press it down evenly. You can use a normal baking pan but it might be harder to remove the cake at the end.
5. Let it chill in the fridge while you prepare the cheese layer.

Cheese Layer

250g Cream Cheese
250g Mascarpone Cheese
140g caster sugar
2 eggs
80g Oreo cookies (Cream removed and crushed)

1. Preheat oven to 160°C. 
2. Mix the cream cheese with the sugar till creamy. I mix everything using my food processor.
3. Add in the mascarpone cheese and mix well.
4. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix well.
5. Add in the Oreo.
6. Take out the pan from the fridge and pour the batter into it.
7. Wrap the pan with aluminium foil and place it onto another bigger pan.
8. Fill the outer pan with hot water halfway up the sides of the inner pan. This is call water bath method.
9. Steam bake for about 1 hour. Try not to open the over while baking because the drop in temperature will cause the cake to shrink. 
10. Turn off the oven and leave the cake in the oven for 30 mins to an hour to let it slowly cool down.
11. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on the wire rack for about an hour.

Top Layer

60g Oreo (Cream removed and crushed)

1. Sprinkle the crushed Oreo over the cake.
2. Let it chill in the fridge for at least 8 hours before serving. 

We can't wait to try out the cake and cut it after letting it chill for about 4 hours. Well, rushing is not good because the cake is not cold enough and doesn't taste as nice. When we tried again at night, the cake is cold and nice.

If you enjoy reading this post, I would be glad if you could follow me on Facebook or Instagram

2 comments:

  1. This seems to be a great recipe! I've always dreamed of being able to learn how to bake one day but I'm not sure if I would still be able to. Hehe. But kudos to you for making your loved one's birthday sweet!! hehe ;)

    xo
    Janine | Lime & Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janine, thanks for your kind comment. I'm sure you will learn how to bake one day. Can start off with an easy recipe.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...