Page

My Cooking Journey #13: Bone Stock

Monday, 16 March 2015

I first heard of Bone Stock or rather, collagen bone stock, from Wokking Mum. It was some time ago that she posted a video of her home-made collagen stock and the wibbly wobbly makes me so tempted to try it out. 


But since I was still working then and seldom cook, I didn't try it out. This also reminds me of the Bijin Nabe (美人锅) from Tsukada Nojo, which is always having long queue.

Now that I am no longer working, I need to cook for Big J and myself when we come back home from his lessons. As I do not have much time to cook up a storm, I want to cook simple dishes for the two of us. Having the bone stock ready in the fridge is a very good time saver.

This is how my jelly bone stock turned out.


I use this to cook simple dishes such as stir-fry pasta, udon soup, stir-fry vegetables, porridge etc. Just simply add in a tablespoon or two into the dishes during cooking and it will add flavour to them. Since the bone stock was not seasoned, you might still need to season your dishes, depending on the other ingredients you are using too. 




This is how I prepared my bone stock. Original recipe from Wokking Mum.

Bone Stock

Ingredients:
Pork bones
Chicken feet
Water

1. Boil a pot of water and blanch the pork bones and chicken feet. 
2. Drain and wash the bones. 
3. Put the bones into a fresh pot of water. The water should be just covering the bones.
4. Bring it to a boil and then lower the fire to a simmer. The smallest fire you can go.
5. Let it simmer over the stove for at least 5 hours. The longer the better. 
6. As it simmer, you will see scum forming on the surface. Skim these away so you can achieve a clear stock.
7. Sieve out the bones and leave the stock to cool. Store in fridge or freezer.

You can use any kind of bones as you wished. As a money saving tips, you can save up the bones from the roast chicken or any bone parts that you do not need and use them for this. Blanching helps to removes the blood and scums from the bones and this in an important step in achieving a clear and whitish soup base. 

For storage, you can store them in the freezer, which can last up to 1 month. Remember to freeze them in quantity that you will usually use, so that it is easier to take them out. You can also store them in the fridge, in which the stock will become a jelly-like state. This is good for keeping for about a week. 

I did a Google search of the benefits of bone stock and I am amazed that it actually have lots of benefits as shown here, here and here. I'm not sure how true are these but I am very sure it did save me lots of time when I need to prepare something within a short period of time. And it is definitely healthier than using store-bought stocks.


If you enjoy reading this post, I would be glad if you could follow me on Facebook or Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...