Page

Learning with Daiso

Thursday, 8 October 2015

Ever since I became an auntie, I have cut down a lot on my personal shopping. Nowadays, my usual shopping grounds are places like Supermarkets, Popular and one of my favourite, Daiso! There was a time when I was going to Plaza Singapura with Big J and guess what he said? 'Mummy, are you going to Spotlight or Daiso?' So you see, even my little one knows where I like to shop.

Why do I like Daiso? Because everything is for $2! There are so many things to see and buy there. Do you know there are also a number of Facebook groups for Daiso shopping? I love looking at the posts of the things the members did or DIY-ed with their Daiso buys It is ever so often that when there's a good idea shared, that item will run out of stock and people will start buying in bulk, in lighting speed, whenever new stocks arrive.

When I am at Daiso, I usually buy items for craft or learning purposes for the boys. In my Daiso hauls, the items that take up most of my basket are mostly learning materials.

This Pom Poms Fun activity was setup with items from Daiso - pom poms, bowls and containers, tongs, ice cube trays, etc. This is a great activity for fine motor, eye-hand coordination, sorting and transferring. It is very easy to setup yet provide long period of play and many learning opportunities for the kids.

Pom Poms Fun!

Pom poms sorting using ice cube tray from Daiso
The pom poms can be used in a sensory bin. I hid the pieces of the letters in the bin and Big J is required to find them and match it. He was reluctant to do this alphabet matching but when I introduced it with the pom poms, he was delighted.


Feathers and giftpack strips are alternative materials to be used in the sensory bin too.


This Magnectic Puzzle Busy Bag was created using the magnetic sheets. It teaches shapes and colours recognition, matching skills and encourages creativity.
I have also made a Button Snake activity for the kids. This packs in a very small bag and is easy for us to bring around to entertain the kids while waiting.

Button Snake

I bought lots of wooden blocks and painted them, with watercolour from Daiso too! These blocks are fantastic for children play and it is so open-ended because there are many many ways to play with them. Eg, stacking, colour sorting, learning about different shades of colours, pattering, etc.

Rainbow blocks
These wooden pegs are excellent for fine motor skills. I use them for matching and clipping onto picture cards.

Alphabet learning with wooden peg with fine motor skill secretly added in.

For Maths, these magnets work great as manipulatives. There are so many ways to learn with these magnets. This is an example of placing the correct number of magnets to the numbers. The magnetic numbers and whiteboard are all from Daiso. The box for keeping the magnets is from Ikea.

Learning numbers with magnets

I made this zipper board for Small J. He had such fun zipping and unzipping them. For added fun, we can add some small little items inside the zips and he will get a surprise when he unzips them.

Zip zip zip

Big J is currently doing a lot of handwriting practices. These handwriting notebooks are laminated and we practice writing on it using Daiso's whiteboard markers. I really love these markers because the size is just right for little hands and it erases off very easily. I use a piece of felt as the erase. (The numbers and alphabet books shown are from here and here. These are playdough mat but I printed them 4 on a page to make a mini book.)

Whiteboard markers for writing

Lastly, I store all the learning materials in these very versatile Daiso shoeboxes.

Daiso shoebox

If you are already tempted to rush to Daiso, hold on! You can get more ideas of shopping at Daiso from these fellow bloggers too. This post is part of the "DAISO 101" blog train that is being hosted by Justina from Mum in the Making. Click on the button below for more Daiso addiction. Happy Daiso-ing!


Next up on the blog train is Rachel from Catch 40 Winks. Rachel shares her love and inspiration for Making, through Paper-crafting, Sewing and Home D├ęcor DIYs on her blog at www.catch-fortywinks.com.

Hop on her blog tomorrow to find out what are her Top 10 Must-buy Craft Items from Daiso.


If you enjoy reading this post, I would be glad if you could follow me on Facebook or Instagram. You could also subscribe to my newsletter (on the left hand column) and be updated of my latest post.


9 comments:

  1. I LOVE all your learning activities! You're so creative! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the clothes peg idea . You are very creative in putting up so many learning activities. The zip is fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. You are amazingly creative. I never know what to buy from the DIY section at Daiso. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a fan of Daiso too, and have been doing a lot of craft activities with my children using Daiso product, for example DIY story cubes http://www.peipeihaohao.com/2015/10/primary-school-english-creative-writing.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. love all these ideas! going to bookmark this page! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a very young auntie, if you call yrself an auntie! Really an interesting post. So amazed with yr craft ideas, teaching method and time spent to prepare all these. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really put in so much effort! Kudos to your DIY active learning! Adore the Daiso rainbow blocks! Will be sharing on my FB!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really creative and you are definitely a hardworking and young auntie! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at those neat little boxes with labels and everything! You are SO organised. *impressed*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...